Re: F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Anders Rayner-Karlsson wrote:
* Rodd Clarkson <rodd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [20090331 03:56]:
[snip]
I don't think it is appropriate content for release notes since it isn't
useful to lead users to read a few threads with hundreds of mails in
that context. Fedora release notes is not Fedora Weekly News.
I'm not suggesting that you put all these threads into the release
notes, just a url so that hopefully people will read the discussion
already had (and then hopefully avoid having the same fruitless
convesation again).

You have an excessive amount of faith in people. This discussion will
be had again (and again), probably by mostly the same people, once
it's rolled out in a release. Same arguments, same flames, possibly a
different list.
I rarely step in threads, so forgive me for this once.

Good computing => "least surprise effect".
People coming from windows => ctrl+alt+<fumble>bs "OH CRAP --- I am so XXXX I forgot to save my work files in 15 Word (ops, Openoffice) windows in the past 3 days!!!!" People knowing their systems and just upgrading => x blocked => ctrl+alt+bs ... ctrl+alt+bs... "what the..." ... CTRL+ALT+BS. "OH SHIT -- I got to hard reboot loosing all the work on console sessions and possibly fucking up that crap of XXXX filesystem the installer forced me to use!!!!"

If you think that some of the old users not sticking with this mailing list will ever get to know you're taken a so relevant decision (i.e. by carefully reading a changelog) you're very probably wrong. They expect not to be surprised.

SO, if you want to make a so relevant decision, the only viable ways not to get existing users "surprised" (and one (more) step towards other distros) are: 1) leave it as it always been; the programmers of the old say "if it's not broken, don't fix it" (this is truly the way of the Tao); or 2) have a BIG BOX warning about the change and how to put it as it was before; but preferabily 3) have a BIG BOX with a BIG BUTTON during installation asking "do you REALLY want to disable the life-saver ctrl+alt+bs sequence that saved your system from total hang so many times in the past?"

My two cents.

Giancarlo Niccolai.