Re: Should bluez be in base, or split deps?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 14:17 +0000, psmith wrote:
are you saying that packages that provide the same functionality are chosen
to install by which has the shorter name?

yes that's how it work.

wow, that just seems so archaic!

There are actually a number of other factors that are considered and
given weight, shortest name is just one of those factors/weights that
are used to decide which package to pick.

If you have better suggestions, I'm sure the yum devs would love to hear
about it.

When a providing pkg is looked up for a requirement, if we know what is requesting it then that pkg is factored into the assessment. look at _compare_providers() in depsolve.py in yum for the gruesome details.

-sv