Re: yum-builddep pulling in i386 packages for x86_64 -devel dependencies

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Friday 06 March 2009 17:41:34 James Antill wrote:
...the "majority" of cases where it's a problem are things that have
deps. on *-devel pkgs. Esp. if you have pkgA-devel requires pkgB-devel,
usually the only way to do that is via. an explicit requires on
pkgB-devel%{_isa}.

Is that explained somewhere in the packaging guidelines? I have made the error
several time. Actually, I did not know %{_isa} before reading the current
thread.

If true, this is completely horrid --- this means every single package I
own is broken, and probably 75% of everything else is too.

Yes, and been broken forever.

Can't we get this fixed in RPM, rather than having to kluge it in the specfiles?

Rpm has no way of knowing if "foo" vs "bar-devel" is something that needs matching arch or not, they're just arbitrary package names to it.

We can't very well go hardcoding rules about -devel and -libs and such as packaging policies vary wildly, and not all packages follow such rules anyway. What might be doable is having a build-time configurable patterns for adding %{_isa} automatically. For Fedora, just having *-devel dependencies tagged with isa should fix a good percentage (but not all) of the cases.

	- Panu -