Stefan Held wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 10.12.2008, 14:29 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:

I'm not sure how practical that would be unless you could still mount and access the updated version after reverting. Suppose you've done several days work before you trip over the showstopper bug that makes you want to revert. Or the update makes format changes that aren't backwards compatible in files on other partitions?

This is more than practical :)

To be honest, the solaris guys are doing this recently. Take a snapshot,
apply the updates. If something is wrong you can move backwards and
forwards in the snapshots for the root partition.

I'd go for an option to install a spare matching partition for the system and have updates always rsync the previous to it before changing anything (both partitions always mounted, no lvm magic) but even that doesn't cover everything that can go wrong.

This solution would be best with splitting /home into a own lvm
partition. I never heard of a system update breaking something serios
in /home :)

I think that means you've never tried running multiple versions with an nfs mounted home. All sorts of things twiddle their dot-files with changes that older copies don't like. So once you have run the new version of a program you may not be able to go back.

Your solution would use to much space in my opinion.

Disk space is cheap in most cases - and regardless, an LVM would have to have space for the snapshot and it's cheaper than maintaining a separate test machine or VM image. And as an option, anyone who didn't want it wouldn't have to. The main downside I see is that you'd have to decide up front how big the system can grow and allocate 2 of them.

I do think it is better to focus on how to avoid breaking important machines in the first place - and that necessarily involves breaking more unimportant ones, but this could be another safety net.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx