Re: Proposal: changes to "default application functionality" release criteria

On Wed, 2022-05-04 at 17:37 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, May 4 2022 at 09:33:25 AM -0700, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > . Do you use
> > Geary?
>
> Constantly. Hi from Geary.

Well, that's good, it gives me a better sense of confidence that it
might work well when it does show up officially...

> > Do you use Contacts?
>
> Occasionally, yes, but not very often. I have seen the bug where the
> contacts duplicate themselves when editing email before, but probably
> didn't report it because other longstanding bugs have not always been
> fixed. It seems to be better-maintained now than it was in the past,
> though, so maybe things are looking up here.

That's great if it turns out that way, but I would say that it being
undermaintained to the point you didn't report a major bug - but still
treated as a stock GNOME application - for a significant amount of time
is sort of the problem I'm worried about here.

> > Do
> > you use Calendar? In production, so that if they're broken you can't
> > do
> > your job any more?
>
> Yes, I use Calendar. I started missing meetings earlier this year when
> Calendar stopped syncing events from Google. Was pretty frustrating, so
> I had to switch to a local calendar instead, but even that went into
> Calendar. I can't imagine using anything else because it integrates
> with the GNOME Shell calendar and I don't want to lose that. If I had
> to use calendar.google.com, I just would not bother to ever check it.
>
> Calendar has always been very buggy, but it's pretty important and I
> don't think we should remove it.

So again, it's good that it's being used, but at the same time it
worries me that even core devs using it isn't enough for major bugs in
it to get fixed...

(BTW, I use Evolution because it also integrates with the Shell
calendar, and it's not generally that buggy :>)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA