Re: Proposal: changes to "default application functionality" release criteria

Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do GNOME users actually use Contacts and Calendar and Photos? I mean,
> I'm kind of a GNOME ultra, and I don't.

One of the reasons we need metrics is so we can answer these questions
using actual data, and I'll be much more comfortable making these
kinds of decisions once we have that.

That said, my own personal sense is that Calendar is used to some
extent, and Contacts and Photos are used much less. That is somewhat
reflected in the app reviews:

Firefox - 7236 reviews, 3.4 average rating
gedit - 896 reviews, 4.0 average rating
Calendar - 321 reviews, 3.0 average rating
Photos - 128 reviews, 2.3 average rating
Contacts - 84 reviews, 3.2 average rating

The challenge we face is that, if we only included really high quality
apps with high levels of usage, we'd be left with very few apps
remaining! You could make an argument for removing Photos, Contacts,
Calendar, Cheese, Maps, Weather, Rhythmbox... and if we went down that
road, aside from leaving the desktop looking fairly empty, we'd also
potentially fall short in terms of user expectations. While people
might not always use these apps, there is something of an expectation
that they will be there, and indeed competing desktops do still
include equivalents.

I'm also conscious of users who prefer not to use web services from
Google and Microsoft, as well as users who don't have continuous
access to high bandwidth internet connections.

That all said, my personal view is that we should drop Photos.
Contacts and Calendar I'm less sure about, because there is a more
active upstream in both cases.

I'd also like to see us slim down and/or refresh our preinstalled
apps, in order to reduce the maintenance and testing burden. We have
designs in place for this in a number of cases - the image viewer,
photos, videos, the camera - I'd be really happy to see progress
there.

Allan