Re: Proposal: changes to "default application functionality" release criteria

Long thread here! I'm not going to pretend to have properly read all of it. :)

Some key points from my side:

1. When the workstation working group discussed this issue earlier in
the week, the consensus was that the bugs we've seen for contacts,
calendar and photos shouldn't block the release. We don't expect to be
able to quickly fix them, and we don't expect them to be widely
encountered. Please let's not delay on those!

2. I've set in motion a process to review the state of contacts,
calendar and photos, with a view to establishing whether they should
be preinstalled, and what the quality level is like. That will target
F37.

3. The workstation WG will also try and come back with a view on how
the release criteria should be adjusted for the preinstalled app set.

4. The feedback from QA in this thread has been super helpful, and I'm
sure we'll feed that information into future decisions. More feedback
and discussion would be great. Maybe we could come to an agreement
over what it's realistic to expect from QA in terms of app testing,
for example, and use that information to inform the overall scope of
the preinstalled app set. A dedicated meeting to discuss desktop QA
seems like a good idea to me.

My general feeling is that there's probably more common ground on this
issue than the thread may suggest. Personally speaking, the quality of
our desktop apps has been a longstanding concern which I've devoted a
lot of time and thought to, and the idea of reducing the scope of the
preinstalled app set while simultaneously increasing quality is one
that I would generally support. I think the main question is how to do
that within the constraints of a) users and b) contributor
communities.

Having a session on QA at GUADEC seems like a great idea too!

Allan