Re: Proposal: changes to "default application functionality" release criteria

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 2:47 AM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-05-04 at 19:04 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 09:20:35PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > We could look at what it would take to upstream the app tests we have
> > > already for Fedora. What I'm afraid of is that we'd wind up finding
> > > some subtle difference in theme or font rendering meant we'd have to
> > > duplicate all the needles, and re-do them all twice every time freetype
> > > or cantarell sneezes...
> >
> > So, um, maybe this is another place we could talk with GNOME upstream. Could
> > we have those upstream tests run on Rawhide?
> >
> > Also: where does GNOME _expect_ the human-based QA to happen? Especially for
> > the applications, it's going to be hard to automate thoroughly. Maybe we can
> > figure out something better there too.
>
> So the answer to both those questions is, AIUI, kinda the same: GNOME
> wants the testing run on GNOME OS.
>
> https://os.gnome.org/
>
> which is (supposed to be, I don't know how closely it meets the goal
> ATM) a nightly live GNOME image with the latest versions of everything
> in it.
>
> Testing that is much more useful to upstream than testing Rawhide,
> because we certainly aren't updating all the bits of GNOME in Rawhide
> nightly. But if it's not built on Fedora (I don't think it is), it may
> well have differences in theme and font configuration that might make
> Fedora's openQA needles not match, which is the problem I'm concerned
> about with sharing the tests.

Just a suggestion.
Most of the workstation blocker issues with apps could have been
detected by using the gnome nightly flatpaks (build in gnome's gitlab
CI). https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Nightly

I use Silverblue rawhide and most of my apps are Nightly builds that I
frequently update. This way I jump into fixing/reporting bugs as soon
as I encounter them.