Re: [INPUT REQUESTED] fedora-chromium-config and Fedora Workstation

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 7:15 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 6:52 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 5:48 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > 1. Enable Chrome's auto-detection of DNS-over-HTTPS. It ships as
> > > disabled by default in Chrome currently, but it can be set to an
> > > 'auto' mode that will prefer DoH if it can determine that the DNS
> > > server supports it.
> > >

> > This breaks corporate VPNs very hard, so probably not.
>
> Could you expand on this please? I'd just like to have some
> information to kick back at the requesting parties.

Last time I tried it a few months back, Chrome switched to DoH
automatically under a variety of corporate VPN configurations I tested
from my workplace (split DNS, tunnel DNS, etc.). The experience when
that happens is confusing depending on how the VPN works. Mine just
results in unresolvable things some of the time, but I know other
workplaces have more painful experiences when that happens.

> > > 2. Drop the user-agent extension. Ever since the advent of Chrome
> > > v100, various sites (particularly those that rely on Cloudflare[2]
> > > such as Gitlab.com) have been having difficulties when this is
> > > enabled. As its utility is limited (mostly just for metrics purposes),
> > > I think the easiest solution is to just remove it.
> > >

> > I'd like to keep this, and this seems like something where Cloudflare
> > should be fixed to deal with it. :(
>
> I have no reason to believe that Cloudflare will do anything about
> this in the immediate future and in the meantime our users are
> suffering. If you have a better alternative, I'm all ears.

Yeah, I dunno. Does Cloudflare know about it yet?

> > > 3. There's a KDE Plasma integration extension too, maintained by the
> > > KDE upstream. Do we want to install that by default as well?
> > >

> > Yes, we should!
>
> For the record, I'm talking about:
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plasma-integration/cimiefiiaegbelhefglklhhakcgmhkai
>  I forgot to include the link in the previous message.

I figured that was the one you're talking about. There's also a
Firefox counterpart too that I think would be worth having too.