Re: Feedback on the new Anaconda per product configuration

> On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 07:34 +0200, Tomas Popela wrote:
>
> Well...a couple of things.
>
> 1. Any maintenance on this will have to go through anaconda team. The
> name of the directory ('product.d') rather suggests this is a drop-in
> style thing; if so, is it possible for this config file to be shipped
> in a separate package maintained directly by Workstation folks, and
> just ensure that package is included in all scenarios where we want
> this tweak?

It wouldn't work with the current pull request, because Silverblue uses a configuration file for Workstation Live. However, we already discuss other solutions for Silverblue, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, we would like to maintain all product configuration files until we are done with the Anaconda modularization. It might be necessary to do some changes across all these files and it is easier this way. That is the reason why install classes were moved to the Anaconda repository in the first place.

Another solution could be to just modify fedora-live-workstation.ks and write a new file to /etc/anaconda/conf.d that will override the hidden_spokes option. Then we don't need a special configuration file for Workstation Live. The content of the file would look like this:

[User Interface]
hidden_spokes =
  NetworkSpoke
  PasswordSpoke
  UserSpoke

> 2. Have we thought through all cases where the variant now being
> 'Workstation Live' rather than 'Workstation' might cause problems?

I have checked the code and the variant name is used only for loading the right product configuration files. It was introduced quite recently in in a commit at https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/commit/6e4bfc4 for this specific purpose.

The spins don't seem to use the configuration file for Fedora Workstation, so it shouldn't affect them.