Re: Feedback on the new Anaconda per product configuration

On Tue, 2019-05-28 at 07:34 +0200, Tomas Popela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lately we've been looking into why some of the spokes are hidden for
> Workstation and some not for Silverblue. The reason for that was that there
> is a special configuration file that is created in the Workstation
> kickstart file[0], that hides some of the spokes, that are being handled by
> GNOME Initial Setup. We should create that file for Silverblue as well -
> probably in post script of the compose[1]. When I first proposed that in
> the #silverblue, then Dusty Mabe replied, that the Silverblue is already
> using the Workstation installation class, so the system should be reworked
> to take that into account. The Anaconda developer Vendula Poncová came with
> the proposed solution[2], where the /data/product.d/ configuration files
> are used to hide the spokes. Our particular problem is solved by the commit
> [3]. The nice thing about the new solution is that it allows us to drop the
> entry from the Workstation's kickstart file and have the configuration
> united on one place in the Anaconda repository.
>
> Does anyone has anything to share about the proposed solution?

Well...a couple of things.

1. Any maintenance on this will have to go through anaconda team. The
name of the directory ('product.d') rather suggests this is a drop-in
style thing; if so, is it possible for this config file to be shipped
in a separate package maintained directly by Workstation folks, and
just ensure that package is included in all scenarios where we want
this tweak?

2. Have we thought through all cases where the variant now being
'Workstation Live' rather than 'Workstation' might cause problems?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey