Re: Initial setup redundancy

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > "Language and Keyboard Layout "
> >
> > I don't see how a normal (non live) non net-install differs
> > from a net-install. In both cases anaconda is pretty much the
> > only thing which is running and as such is the best place to
> > ask about this. I agree that with livecds we need something
> > else.
>
> It doesn't. Anaconda is the right place in both cases. But Workstation
> has only the live image and netinstall images, so we don't consider
> this case.
>
> > "Time and Date"
> >
> > It is important to get the timezone setup correctly *before*
> > running the phase of anaconda where it formats filesystems
> > and copies files. Otherwise various tools may complain about
> > timestamps in the future for files created during install
> > time when the timezone is later changed in such a way
> > that the (timezone-adjusted) time becomes earlier.
> >
> > We've had several bugs related to this in the past and
> > actually have moved timezone configuration up to an earlier
> > point in the installer because of this.

The timezone configuration is only needed for dual-boot installations where
the BIOS is in local time instead of UTC, as I don't expect the installer
to write anything but UTC dates on disk.

> > IOW this really must happen inside the installer.
>
> OK. We might have to remove that entire page from gnome-initial-setup
> then, because that page only makes sense when creating the first user,
> and sounds like we need it in anaconda.

I'd still like to mention that anaconda phones home to attempt to
detect the timezone without telling users about it. At least the
GNOME initial setup version asks...