Re: Initial setup redundancy

Hi,

On 04-07-17 15:51, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Language and Keyboard Layout "

I don't see how a normal (non live) non net-install differs
from a net-install. In both cases anaconda is pretty much the
only thing which is running and as such is the best place to
ask about this. I agree that with livecds we need something
else.

It doesn't. Anaconda is the right place in both cases. But Workstation has only the live image and netinstall images, so we don't consider this case.

"Time and Date"

It is important to get the timezone setup correctly *before*
running the phase of anaconda where it formats filesystems
and copies files. Otherwise various tools may complain about
timestamps in the future for files created during install
time when the timezone is later changed in such a way
that the (timezone-adjusted) time becomes earlier.

We've had several bugs related to this in the past and
actually have moved timezone configuration up to an earlier
point in the installer because of this.

IOW this really must happen inside the installer.

OK. We might have to remove that entire page from gnome-initial-setup then, because that page only makes sense when creating the first user, and sounds like we need it in anaconda.

Well, it is useful, very useful even for the ARM images, which
are distributed as pre-created file-system images to dd to an
sdcard. I did not think of that when I wrote my first mail, but
there are really 3 cases to consider (for workstation):

1) Live CD boot + install from livecd
This will first run anaconda and then run
gnome-initial-setup after rebooted into the new install

2) Pre-installed Workstation fs image on sdcard
This will run gnome-initial-setup at first boot, at
which time both the keyboard and timezone config
screens make a ton of sense.

3) Install from netinstall image
This will first run anaconda and then run
gnome-initial-setup after rebooted into the new install

1 + 3 are quite alike, except that maybe some stuff can
be inherited from the live environment in case 1, esp.
once we have a wizard there to setup e.g. the keyboard
before logging in.

But in case 2. We really have a pristine install,
with no settings what-so-ever and we want gnome-initial-setup
to do it all.

Regards,

Hans