Re: flatpak issues in F26 alpha

On Sun, 2017-04-02 at 09:44 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-04-01 at 23:57 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > [chris@f26h ~]$ flatpak remotes
> > gnome                              user
> > org.libreoffice.LibreOffice-origin user,no-enumerate
> >
> > I'm not expecting these to be user installed but rather system
> > installed. This user is an admin and I really don't want every user
> > on
> > this system having to install their own copy of e.g. LibreOffice.
> > My
> > understanding is admin users would have runtimes and apps installed
> > as
> > system not user.
>
> Well we have to figure this out, because my expectation is the
> opposite: I would expect that all users can have a completely
> separate
> set of apps installed. :( This might be a case where having a user-
> visible preference is desirable since it's not always what you want,
> for space reasons.

On this question, I'm slightly in favor of system-wide installation. It
is what we've been all along, and I don't think there's a very
compelling reason to move away from it. On the contrary, installing
software in $HOME comes with extra complications such as nfs homedirs.

> Also: being able to install without authentication but not delete
> matches our behavior for system packages. I think it's silly to allow
> users to install stuff but not to remove it, but that's our status
> quo.

If we want to allow users to install and delete software without
prompts, we can do that regardless of where the installation goes.