Re: flatpak issues in F26 alpha

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-04-01 at 23:57 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> [chris@f26h ~]$ flatpak remotes
>> gnome                              user
>> org.libreoffice.LibreOffice-origin user,no-enumerate
>>
>> I'm not expecting these to be user installed but rather system
>> installed. This user is an admin and I really don't want every user
>> on
>> this system having to install their own copy of e.g. LibreOffice. My
>> understanding is admin users would have runtimes and apps installed
>> as
>> system not user.
>
> Well we have to figure this out, because my expectation is the
> opposite: I would expect that all users can have a completely separate
> set of apps installed. :(

I don't see the upside. And it's not consistent with other platform:
Windows, macOS or Android.

There's a distinction to be made between where apps are installed, and
how they're presented. Certainly they can be stored in a way that make
them available to all users, even if they aren't visible.

For example user "chris" installs LibreOffice for the first time, and
that means a bunch of binaries are downloaded and installed at a
system level. When user "larry" goes to Gnome Software to install
LibreOffice, Gnome Software actually just links to the existing
LibreOffice. Basically it just creates an icon for it under
Activities.

>This might be a case where having a user-
> visible preference is desirable since it's not always what you want,
> for space reasons.

I never want to be backing up binaries. We already have this absurd
difficulty of carving out what parts of the file system hierarchy are
static and stateless, ostensibly the domain of atomic host, and what
parts are stateful with system or user information. The FHS continues
to make that effort difficult. It actively thwarts making this easy.
And putting binaries into /home conflates what /home is mostly used
for as well, which is user data. And apps haven't previously been
considered user data, so I think it's confusing and messy, and makes
it more difficult to do rebuilds, or migrate to a new computer, etc.

--
Chris Murphy