Re: Atomic Workstation next steps

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had a long discussion yesterday with Colin about some of the pain
> points that are causing him to currently have a separate atomic-
> workstation build on the Centos infrastructure, and what we can do to
> address those and consolidate back to the Fedora infrastructure.
>
> The long term goal we have is getting to the point where someone who is
> moderately adventuresome can consume Fedora Atomic Workstation in a
> rolling fashion - every week a new version of Atomic Workstation shows
> up with whatever minor or major updates are considered stable, and if
> something breaks, rpm-ostree offers the ability to roll back.
>
> For Atomic Host, they offer this experience based on the *last* stable
> release of Fedora - so when a new release of OpenShift or atomic-cli
> happens, they rebase it in f25, and then the f25-based Atomic Host
> image is updated. This provides something much more stable than basing
> their releases on Rawhide, because only a fraction of the packages get
> updated .
>
> But we can't literally follow this model for workstation, because we
> can't make that conceptual separation between the stable base and the
> stuff that is updated - kernel, systemd, NetworkManager, gnome-shell
> all have roughly the same status. The best separation we have for
> Workstation is operating system vs. apps, and Flatpak is the route
> forward to allow people to try out new apps on a stale base.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but Fedora Atomic only ships
stable Fedora packages. If we want an updated version of atomic or
kubernetes (we don't ship openshift in the image) we give it karma
through bodhi, and it becomes stable, and we pull it in. I'm running
this Fedora Atomic WS (https://pagure.io/atomic-ws) now on my main
machine, and it, like the host, draws on stable fedora 25. I'm not
totally against the idea of running a rawhide-based version, but... I
prefer the idea of running an atomic workstation based on the latest
stable fedora. Would the rawhide-based atomic workstation be the only
option?