Re: Atomic Workstation next steps

On Wed, 2017-03-08 at 09:24 -0800, Jason Brooks wrote:

> > But we can't literally follow this model for workstation, because
> > we
> > can't make that conceptual separation between the stable base and
> > the
> > stuff that is updated - kernel, systemd, NetworkManager, gnome-
> > shell
> > all have roughly the same status. The best separation we have for
> > Workstation is operating system vs. apps, and Flatpak is the route
> > forward to allow people to try out new apps on a stale base.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but Fedora Atomic only ships
> stable Fedora packages. If we want an updated version of atomic or
> kubernetes (we don't ship openshift in the image) we give it karma
> through bodhi, and it becomes stable, and we pull it in. I'm running
> this Fedora Atomic WS (https://pagure.io/atomic-ws) now on my main
> machine, and it, like the host, draws on stable fedora 25. I'm not
> totally against the idea of running a rawhide-based version, but... I
> prefer the idea of running an atomic workstation based on the latest
> stable fedora. Would the rawhide-based atomic workstation be the only
> option?

No, certainly not. There will be builds of Atomic Workstation
corresponding to the stable branches of Fedora, and that's how I'd
expect most people to consume it.

The distinction I was drawing is that, as I understand it, the F25-
based Atomic Host is considered the primary place that development
happens. If that's the case, it's only possible because the components
that you want to update are mostly used in the context of Atomic and
are pretty independent of the Fedora core.

But (without substantially changing Fedora) we can't do that for
Workstation - if you want to try out a new version of systemd or
NetworkManager, you need to try out Rawhide (or after the branch-point
the upcoming release.)

So the place where we'll see the benefits of the "Atomic" approach for
development - being able to survive broken updates by rolling back,
tagging only changes that pass automatic testing, etc - is Rawhide, and
my mail was largely about how to make Rawhide better for development
and testing as an ostree.

- Owen