Re: Another round of default app discussion

On 2016-09-08 18:00, Misha S. wrote:
By the way, no one so far has questioned the results of the UX test
being based on responses of 7 (seven) people. Where do these people
live, in America? The target population is worldwide. How is the
sample group of 7 people representative of target population? What is
the margin of error and will the results repeat with a larger group?

The exact composition of who you ask to participate in a study is indeed important, but while it would be great to have a more geographically diverse sample, sometimes you'll have to settle for what you can realistically get hold of. I'm really happy that there is usability testing being done in the first place. I personally felt discouraged from making any kind of usability testing in the past, mostly because I didn't have a usability test lab set up at home, with a two-way-mirror and all the necessary equipment. As a result, I ended up doing no usability testing at all. :(

Jakob Nielsen recommends around 5 people, because in his experience, you'll just keep seeing the same things over and over after that, and 5 easily catches the most obvious errors.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/how-many-test-users/

That said, the test should be able to be repeated by pretty much anyone, with new participants.

5 — now that is your crazy uncle kind of person that...

Eh, so these are people who volunteered their precious time in the hope to make a project better, and as a community we should be grateful for their contributions. As part of the introduction they were promised that it was the software that was tested, not them. I would become extremely hurt if I tried to help make software better, just to have the project call me a crazy uncle afterwards.
- Andreas