Re: Another round of default app discussion

By the way, no one so far has questioned the results of the UX test
being based on responses of 7 (seven) people. Where do these people
live, in America? The target population is worldwide. How is the
sample group of 7 people representative of target population? What is
the margin of error and will the results repeat with a larger group?

The emoji-based evaluation. I can kind of conjure their answers
without knowing who they are, based on the operating system they use.

The first two Windows girls are very basic users.

1 — “a happy face”: discovered something that's not Windows; entertained;
2 — “hmm”: “Ooh, computers!” — and then forgot about it;

3 and 4 are, of course, happy: they come from OS X.

5 — now that is your crazy uncle kind of person that learned their
ways through Windows — and computers — back in the days of 98 that he
would still apply in every other operating system; they still
defragment their hard drives; it is the person that you hate to argue
with because they think they're hackers; nonetheless they can't
explain their problem when they ask for help; they use computer lingo
in a random way that no one can figure out; I feel it's him who said
the brilliant “As a person who doesn’t like adopting and getting used
to new systems, I wouldn’t like to use GNOME.”; his two emojis
represent the two reactions: “WTF is that?” and ”WTF was that?”;

6 — now that's the one I get emotional about. She's even a lighter
user than the 1 and 2. She uses OS X. She gets confused when an
application's icon jumps. :'(

7 is your white male Linux r00t that has been using KDE or tiling
window manager for years; he passed his experimenting stage awhile
ago, he knows what waits for him in GNOME, tried it before, didn't
like it, he's already crafting his final words for the test; he put —
both times — the dullest icon he could find, a face that doesn't
express anything, just for the fun of it; he took the test to f*
around; he's someone who had to be filtered out with a preliminary
questionnaire; we've lost this person a long time ago, and there is no
sense to have a person like that giving their feedback.

All of the above, of course, are deliberately exaggerated.

Misha
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Misha
English / Español / Italiano / Русский