Re: Another round of default app discussion

	Hi,

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 07:13 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> CSS issues are just details.

though the most visible details. As you cannot do what gtk+ does
internally without awful workarounds, like styling the header bar the
same it is in the GtkTreeView, then what you call "details" is a major
problem for custom widgets, which doesn't fix CSS stability, because of
missing required API, intentionally not provided by the gtk+ itself.
Even WebKit2 still draws its scrollbars incorrectly in the 2.13.90
version of it, thus you might know what I'm talking about, I believe.

> Are you ready to remove the menu bar, the toolbar (you could put a
> couple monochrome buttons in the header bar, but only a couple), the
> contacts/calendar/tasks/memo integration, and a majority of the
> preferences? All of these things would be required to become GNOME
> Mail.

Are they? There won't left much, if you remove all of that (what I
consider useful). As some applications can have different look (and
feel) for GNOME, I can imagine the Evolution can do it too. We'll see,
we are far from being at the end.

> Regarding ease of setup. You don't have a way to access it in Xfce,
> but we do have GNOME Online Accounts to configure your accounts for
> all of these apps in the same place.

I do run gnome-control-center from a terminal from time to time, I know
how (GNOME) Online Accounts look and where to find them, no matter what
desktop environment I'm currently using. :-)

> I didn't realize you were planning major UI changes. Let's revisit
> this in a year.

To be fair, I cannot promise when it'll be, thus you can do what you
suggested now and re-evaluate once the work on the Evolution side will
be done. I'm currently at "one day, it would be good to update the UI
of the Evolution, as an option, a new view" plan, while I know there is
plenty of work to be done first, not only that which is piled in my
ToDo for too long time, from which will benefit all those applications
which are currently pushing the Evolution itself away from the GNOME,
but also other work, like to make the UI widgets performance wise,
better than the stock gtk+ widgets.

	Bye,
	Milan