Re: Wayland by default on F25? Blockers?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 02:32:34AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:02:09PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Matthew Miller
> > <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > We really _do_ need to go through the proper process here. Please
> > > remember, Fedora is a huge project with hundreds of active
> > > contributors, and this isn't just mere bureaucracy. We require the
> > > coordination in order to continue to produce the reoccuring miracle
> > > that is a functioning Fedora release.
> > >
> > > I'm excited as anyone for the new features and improvements Wayland
> > > brings to the table, but let's do it right.
> >
> > If someone wants to file a FESCo ticket to get it approved as a late
> > change, I think that's reasonable. But tomorrow is go/no-go and I
> > think it's at least as risky to flip back to Xorg by default as it is
> > to leave Wayland the default; and no doubt FESCo would take QA's
> > opinion on the late change into account but this lateness I think is
> > pretty minor compared to some of the late changes that have happened
> > in the past.
> >
> > I think a case can be made that it was always intended to be the
> > default for Fedora 25, it very nearly was the default for Fedora 24.
> > It's something of an oversight there was no change filed for Fedora
> > 25, and it just slipped through the crack. Unless testers are manually
> > changing to Xorg, it is being tested since it's the enabled default,
> > which is a requirement by the change process. It probably also is at
> > or nearly at the 100% code complete point well before that deadline;
> > and if it's not 100% then the WG can estimate how far away it is and
> > how likely it'd be at 100% by that deadline.
> >
> > Top on my list of blocking behaviors for which I'm not aware of an
> > appropriate release criterion is: by beta the switching between
> > wayland and X needs to be bulletproof; in particular the ability to
> > switch from Wayland to X must actually work and must stick through a
> > reboot (persistence). As long as the user can reliably use X, I think
> > the worst of Waylands maturation problems are surmountable. There is
> > an in place fallback, it's not like pretty much all other system wide
> > complex changes where there is no such user initiated fallback
> > available.
>
> I don't think that this is an accurate description of current
> situation.  If testers who install F25 get wayland by default, all
> this tells us that it mostly works, but not that it's ready for
> widespread use. There's still a long list of open issues until feature
> parity with X11. Those things don't get reported as bugs, because they
> are well known missing features, not really bugs, but they cannot be
> ignored.  I've been using gnome-wayland myself for the last year, and
> I think it's great, but there's still too many shortcomings.
>
> IMO, the only reasonable course of action at this point is to make
> X11 the default for F25 and punt wayland on to F26.

Is "feature parity with X11" the intended measure of readiness here?
I thought there were specific X11 features that are intentionally not
going to be duplicated in Wayland, which would make that a false bar
to try to reach.

We do have this existing feature page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefault

I was asked to propose this as a late feature for an exception.
However, the page doesn't appear to be updated technically.  Also,
this test criterion seems suspect:

   "Use the desktop normally, and verify that there are no obvious
   instabilities, or Wayland-specific bugs or performance problems"

"No Wayland-specific bugs" also doesn't appear to jibe with the desire
to get Wayland out as a default even if there are a few specific bugs
to solve.  The page lists https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1277927 as a
tracker, but I didn't think the objective is to fix/close all the bugs
on that tracker in order to move to Wayland.