Re: Why isn't git installed in Workstation?

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 05:49:03PM -0600, Stefan Nuxoll wrote:
> Regarding the 4th option, would GNOME Builder be a good starting
> point for this? It's still a ways from feature complete, but it's the
> best option for an IDE written to the GNOME HIG to follow the
> requirements for inclusion as a default application.

Maybe. I think there's a balance between having something compelling
and new vs. providing a comfortable environment that people can slide
right into.

For case #4 (large organization developer), Eclipse is probably the way
to go. There's a large community around it already, so we wouldn't be
starting from scratch. It's used by 23% of developers according to the
Stack Overflow developer survey¹.

Once the produce the full data dump from that survey, we could even
cross-reference the Workstation target audiences to preferred
environment, to make data-driven decisions here.

1. https://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-development-environments

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>