Re: Upgrades to F24 via dnf

On 02/27/2016 10:06 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 08:26:40AM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>>> I think this was the plan all along, it was just that the workstation
>>> groups landed late in the F21 cycle and it was too late to remove
>>> @gnome-desktop at that point without potentially breaking other spins
>>> that were using it.
>> But then doesn't that just pass the problem off to the spins still
>> using @gnome-desktop, and users that installed prior to F21? I guess
>> that is a much smaller subset of users that will face the upgrade
>> problem, though, so you're right, this is probably a better approach.
>> (It's also kind of nice to have a separation between the GNOME
>> packages, and "extra" packages, but I can live without that....)
>
> From a high-level conceptual standpoint, I like the idea of
> @fedora-workstation including (e.g. being built on) @gnome-desktop, but
> being separate and additive. That reinforces the idea that the editions
> aren't merely upstream tech showcases which we are arbitrarily
> elevating over other possiblities. They're meant to be Fedora-focused
> marketing tools, in the complete sense of marketing — not just the part
> about ad copy and swag, but a whole deal where we look at market
> opportunities and try to build something that will fill them.
>

> But, that shouldn't get in the way doing what works best pragmatically
> at this level. :)

This isn't the problem. We have the Fedora Workstation environment group for
that purpose. Environment groups contain package groups. Both
@fedora-workstation and @gnome-desktop are package groups.

So there's an argument to be made that perhaps @fedora-workstation should go
away and be replaced by @^workstation-product-environment entirely.