Re: Upgrades to F24 via dnf

On Sat, 2016-02-27 at 11:30 +0100, Kalev Lember wrote:
> Maybe just remove @gnome-desktop ? We don't really have a gnome
> desktop
> spin any more, so it doesn't make that much sense to keep it around.
>
> I think this was the plan all along, it was just that the workstation
> groups landed late in the F21 cycle and it was too late to remove
> @gnome-desktop at that point without potentially breaking other spins
> that were using it.

But then doesn't that just pass the problem off to the spins still
using @gnome-desktop, and users that installed prior to F21? I guess
that is a much smaller subset of users that will face the upgrade
problem, though, so you're right, this is probably a better approach.

(It's also kind of nice to have a separation between the GNOME
packages, and "extra" packages, but I can live without that....)

> I don't think that having users install a group manually to unbreak
> upgrades is the way to go here. It feels like we're asking users to
> work
> around things that should just work out of the box.
>
> If it means that we need to keep @gnome-desktop around for a few more
> releases, so be it. The tradeoff in this case, where in one case we'd
> have to keep an obsolete group around vs the alternative of requiring
> users to manually install a group seems like it has a clear winner,
> at
> least in my mind.

Well I agree it's not great, but if we have graphical upgrade tool that
does work properly, I think we can reasonably expect users to use that,
and anyone who tries the command line instead to apply a simple one-
time workaround.

Though, I wonder if this would break 'dnf autoremove' as well... and
that is not a one-time issue, but a permanent problem....

Michael