Re: Proposed default app changes for F24

On Sun, 2016-01-03 at 19:03 +0100, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> ... is it possible to not remove the chat support from GOA, but just
> make it invisible unless Empathy is installed?

It should be possible; it would just require changes in gnome-online-
accounts. But it seems undesirable to me. If Empathy gets downgraded to
be a normal application, rather than a core component of our OS like it
is now, then we should not offer configuration for it in System
Settings. Application configuration should be the province of
applications.

> If it is completely removed, what happens for upgrades? Do I lose the
> chat accounts I configured in GOA in F23 if I upgrade to F24?

Yes; you'd have to add all the accounts again in Empathy's account
preferences. I think this is an acceptable one-time cost.

> GNOME Photos is great, however, it doesn't handle opening a file (e.g
> by double-clicking in Nautilus)
>
> So if we remove Shotwell, what will handle this functionality?

By default, this is handled by Image Viewer (eog), not Shotwell. I
think you changed this setting. :)

There was discussion at the Content Apps Hackfest about whether to
teach Photos to open arbitrary images, and corresponding discussion for
Documents and Music, with the goal being to allow us to remove Image
Viewer and Document Viewer (evince) from the default install. I'm not
sure what the conclusion of these discussions was. I suspect someone
will respond to enlighten us. :)

> GNOME Music is also great, but the same caveat as Photos applies:
> what
> will handle the functionality of double-clicking on a music/audio
> file
> in Nautilus?

This one is more problematic. Currently the answer is Videos (totem),
since it is not possible for Music to open individual files. That is
frankly pretty weird, not a very satisfying answer, since Videos is
hardly intended for playing music files.

It actually has one major advantage over Rhythmbox, though:  Rhythmbox
adds all opened files to my music library, which is *never* what I
want. I wind up with many deleted, temporary sound files in my
Rhythmbox music collection. If I want to add a file to my library, I'll
move it into my Music folder. So I actually prefer Videos as the
default handler anyway... even though that's far from ideal.

It seems reasonable to hold off on Music and Photos until they are able
to handle local files, though I personally don't think that's
essential.

Michael