Re: Plan to organize the Wayland-by-default effort

On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 15:36 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-12-09 at 05:39 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > * Display rotation support
> > > - Not needed from the beginning, but quite a few people will probably miss it.
> >
> > For whatever it's worth, this is a showstopper for me on my main test
> > box (this one); I just can't run Wayland on it until this is fixed. So
> > I'll be running with X11 until this is done, regardless of what's the
> > default.
>

> What is meant by display rotation support? Changing from portrait to
> landscape without a reboot? Or does it mean portrait isn't supported
> at all? For me, I use a laptop without external attached sometimes and
> can do some Wayland testing. But mostly I connect to a display rotated
> to portrait orientation. I don't tend to rotate it landscape though.

Wayland itself has rotation support, but GNOME provides no interface
for it. I have this vague memory that I somehow managed to get a
Wayland session to rotate its displays with xrandr somehow, but I've
never managed to replicate that; apart from that one time (if it really
happened...) I haven't found any way to rotate the display from a
GNOME-on-Wayland session in Fedora. Wayland doesn't really have the
concept of server-level configuration like X, there's no xorg.conf you
can go to and configure rotation the way you can with X; AIUI, in the
Wayland world, that's supposed to happen at the compositor/desktop
level.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey