Re: Plan to organize the Wayland-by-default effort

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 15:36 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > For whatever it's worth, this is a showstopper for me on my main test
>> > box (this one); I just can't run Wayland on it until this is fixed. So
>> > I'll be running with X11 until this is done, regardless of what's the
>> > default.
>>

>> What is meant by display rotation support? Changing from portrait to
>> landscape without a reboot? Or does it mean portrait isn't supported
>> at all? For me, I use a laptop without external attached sometimes and
>> can do some Wayland testing. But mostly I connect to a display rotated
>> to portrait orientation. I don't tend to rotate it landscape though.
>
> Wayland itself has rotation support, but GNOME provides no interface
> for it. I have this vague memory that I somehow managed to get a
> Wayland session to rotate its displays with xrandr somehow, but I've
> never managed to replicate that; apart from that one time (if it really
> happened...) I haven't found any way to rotate the display from a
> GNOME-on-Wayland session in Fedora. Wayland doesn't really have the
> concept of server-level configuration like X, there's no xorg.conf you
> can go to and configure rotation the way you can with X; AIUI, in the
> Wayland world, that's supposed to happen at the compositor/desktop
> level.

Hmmm well if the display isn't fakaked, which is actually surprisingly
infrequent (i.e. it is fakaked), via EDID it should inform the OS (if
it asks) what the orientation is so the OS can just do the right
thing. I have a display in a box about 20 feet away that does the
right thing. Maybe....hmmm....MAYbE I should get it outta the box? And
I don't know, test it? Egads. I know it works on X, but ONLY with the
discrete GPU. Integrated GPU, no go.

--
Chris Murphy