Re: Plan to organize the Wayland-by-default effort

> Wayland itself has rotation support, but GNOME provides no interface
> for it. I have this vague memory that I somehow managed to get a
> Wayland session to rotate its displays with xrandr somehow, but I've
> never managed to replicate that; apart from that one time (if it
> really
> happened...)

This is not really factually true.

The Wayland protocol does not have display configuration (ie the
equivalent to XRANDR). GNOME shell provides a D-Bus interface for
display configuration which is what drives the control-center display
panel, and that D-Bus interface does support rotation.

The X11 implementation in mutter is translating it into XRANDR and does
support rotation. The Wayland implementation translates it into libdrm
calls, and does not support rotation yet.

I could also quibble with the notion that "I happen to use a rotated
monitor on my system, so rotation is a test blocker", but thats
probably not worth it... clearly rotation needs to be supported, and I
believe Carlos and Florian have recently discussed the some plans for
implementing it. Carlos, Florian - is that correct ?