Re: Tweak Tool in Workstation?

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 06:02 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > "other settings"? It might have been a longstanding complaint, but
> > not
> > one that's happened recently, or was ever very loud. If there are
> > things
> > to do in the background settings, they are probably more on fixing
> > presentation
> > bugs in gnome-shell for particular types of background (say, being
> > more
> > "magic" when setting up a panorama, a portrait photo or a small
> > pattern
> > as a background)
>
> To be clear: I would prefer our background/wallpaper panel to look more
> like Ubuntu's.

Ubuntu's is GNOME 3.0's one, plus moar buttons!

I really don't think that any more options than there are in the Background
panel will 1) help us get more users 2) stop us from covering the 90%
use cases.

"I want to use a gradient background with my company's watermark on top" isn't
top of the things I would want the Background panel to cover.

If you have specifics, please bring them forward.

> > Bringing back the old fonts panel is out of the question. There are
> > too
> > many variables, they make absolutely no sense to most users
> > (seriously, do
> > Windows, OSX or mobile platforms allow you to select the direction of
> > anti-
> > aliasing?).
>
> We don't have to bring everything back, and we don't have to expose the
> preferences exactly as Tweak Tool does. But we could offer a setting
> like "crisp" or "sharp" ("too narrow" or "unantialiased" to detractors)
> vs. "smooth" ("blurry" to detractors), for example. If we could find
> default settings that work for everyone, then we wouldn't need
> settings, but clearly we can't.

>From the conversations I had, where absolutely no one (including our resident
font experts) was able to tell me what should be the default, why that was the
default, and what difference it would make, those options are more of the
"unbreak my font rendering"-ilk.

I'd want all that information before we even think of adding any configuration
to gnome-control-center.