Re: Tweak Tool in Workstation?

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 17:29 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > If you want the tweaks to be integrated on a more equal footing with
> > the regular settings, one fun project would be to add a search
> > provider to gnome-tweak-tool, similar to what gnome-control-center
> > has, so you can find individual tweak tool pages in the shell search.
>
> Another fun project would be to pick important settings from Tweak
> Tool and merge them into gnome-control-center. We're not getting
> requests for Tweak Tool because it's a good app (it's not), but
> because gnome-control-center isn't good enough.
>
> I agree that Tweak Tool doesn't need to be included by default. It's
> dead simple to install with the gnome-software search provider, and
> it's home to the settings that we *don't* want to be offered to users.
> Anything we expect users to change belongs in gnome-control-center.
>
> I took a look through Tweak Tool and identified some candidates:
>
> * I think there's a strong case to be made for having the other
> background and lock screen settings in gnome-control-center. This has
> been a longstanding complaint from users since the background panel
> was redesigned in 3.6.

"other settings"? It might have been a longstanding complaint, but not
one that's happened recently, or was ever very loud. If there are things
to do in the background settings, they are probably more on fixing presentation
bugs in gnome-shell for particular types of background (say, being more
"magic" when setting up a panorama, a portrait photo or a small pattern
as a background)

> * Shell extensions: As long as we're going to offer them, we shouldn't
> relegate them to Tweak Tool. Perhaps gnome-software would be a better
> location than gnome-control-center, but either would be better than
> Tweak Tool. (But the gnome-shell browser plugin is very crashy at
> worst and unreliable at best, so we should fix that first.)

Extensions is what happens when designers and developers don't agree.
If you know you want extensions, installing gnome-tweak-tool is only a
step away. If people want to integrate that better, they can add support
to the gnome-shell web browser plugin to show whether or not gnome-tweak-tool
is installed, and launch Software to install it through the browser if not.

> * Fonts: Frequently-requested settings, since people have extremely
> different preferences for how fonts should look. It'd be good to have
> a fonts panel. This would be a big project, though.

Bringing back the old fonts panel is out of the question. There are too
many variables, they make absolutely no sense to most users (seriously, do
Windows, OSX or mobile platforms allow you to select the direction of anti-
aliasing?).

If you want users to be able to select a new desktop font, again, it might
have consequences both in terms of identity, and breaking font configurations
such that fallbacks don't work as expected ("I changed my desktop font, and
I can't see Chinese characters anymore").

What preferences exactly did you want to show users?

> * Power: The "power button action" and "when laptop lid is closed"
> settings would be good to have in the Power panel. At least we need
> the laptop lid setting; that's easy and commonly-requested.

Absolutely not. Rationale is in the gnome-settings-daemon bugs and
commit messages for that.

> * Top bar: Maybe show date in clock could live in the Date & Time
> panel, where the 12/24 hour setting is.

We already show it inside the menu, is that not enough?