Re: Guidelines draft: Apps and launchers

On Wed, 20 Aug, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On 20 August 2014 18:45, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
64x64 is too small for high dpi screens (its the same as 32x32 for non
 hidpi screen) if "64x64" is your aim ask for 128x128.

 That would push the icon tarball from 6Mb to over 25Mb. I'm happy
doing both sizes for hidpi, but I think an easier fix is just to scale
 the icons double size in the hidpi case in the client.

Most icons appear to be originally created as vector graphics. Does making the icon format SVG solve both the need for hires icons and keeping file size down?

As you may know, one SVG to cover all resolutions is not ideal, since scaling the icon up would result in things like outlines that are too thick, lack of detail, etc, and downscaling would in most cases just result in a blurry icons...