Re: A bit more about default apps for Workstation

As a Fedora user since F8 and CentOS before that, I've been trying to wrap
my head around the direction Fedora is taking.  A good amount has just
been trying to wrap my head around "what's going on" -- all the back and
forth over the past few months has been anywhere from "a mouthful" to way
over my head.  Finding a wikipedia-style page explaining everything to me
has not been straightforward, although I've only looked a bit.  Having a
kind of "easy button (TM)" that explains it all concisely and succinctly
would be nice (or maybe I just need Captain Obvious' help. :) )

Realize that I'm a passive user, grateful for the free (beer and speech)
OS that meets my needs.  I appreciate the "general purpose OS" approach
that Fedora has taken on over the past ten years.  I'm also keenly aware
that RHEL draws from Fedora, and that the "general purpose OS" part of
Fedora is in order to attract a wide audience of developpers, sysadmins,
etc. to the ecosystem so as to leverage their contributions, test out the
base system and packages, and provide a real world test case for packages
and what technical direction they need to go in and what kind of love and
care they need.  As in, I'm in the camp that uses Fedora as a quality
product in its own right but knows that Fedora is basically a beta-test
for RHEL, and I don't have a problem with that.

>From what I have been able to let gel in my head is that Fedora is
shifting toward three core products:  Server, Cloud, and Workstation.

Now here's what I'm currently trying to figure out:

- Will the Workstation be a rough analogue of the current main desktop
product, and be not all that unfamiliar?
- Will I be able to blissfully continue on with my usage of future Fedora
versions in a roughly "general purpose OS" way?  I understand that custom
installation of software from the repositories, and playing around with
settings, etc. would of course be de rigueur, but then that's already the
case for me and I consider myself rather comfortable and adept at this
task.
- Will the Fedora repository(ies) continue more or less as they are,
acting as a wonderful source of fantastic and diverse software, and
basically permit myself and others like myself to continue enjoying
Fedora?
- As a derivative point to consider, will the other spins continue to
exist, according to their maintainers' whims, desires, abilities to
continue, etc.?

I want to continue using Fedora -- although this dramatic pronouncement
supposes that I expect a dramatic change to Fedora is imminent, which I
know is not the case.  I don't care for Ubuntu, and not much interested in
trying other distros since Fedora meets my needs fully and I'm rather
comfortable with it.

Thanks!