Re: A bit more about default apps for Workstation

Ankur Sinha píše v Po 09. 06. 2014 v 16:35 +1000:
> On Sun, 2014-06-08 at 19:57 -0003, Diogo Campos (cadastros) wrote:
> > Another thing: now that we have California (calendar app), GNOME
> > Contacts (contacts app), Bijiben (notes app) and GTG (tasks app), is
> > time to preinstall Geary instead of Evolution. Right?
>
> Just curious - is this the plan? Is evolution going to be replaced with
> a set of applications that provide the same functionality? It'll be good
> to know, so that some of us that are quite dependent on evolution can
> start to slowly migrate away from it.
> --

Hi Ankur,
I don't think Evolution is going away. I don't even think they compete
with Geary. It's a feature-rich groupware client for enterprise
deployment, not an email client for an average user even though it can
serve that quite well, too.

I think that the plan of GNOME is to bring simple apps to cover all the
common tasks and yes, they will probably cover most of what Evo covers,
but I suppose Evo will stay around for those who need more out of email,
calendar,...

I can imagine that Geary will replace Evo as the default email client in
Fedora. But I'm testing Geary quite regularly and don't think it should
be in a shorter time frame than 1 year from now.

Jiri