Re: A bit more about default apps for Workstation

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 16:25 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi Ankur,
> I don't think Evolution is going away. I don't even think they compete
> with Geary. It's a feature-rich groupware client for enterprise
> deployment, not an email client for an average user even though it can
> serve that quite well, too.

> I think that the plan of GNOME is to bring simple apps to cover all
> the
> common tasks and yes, they will probably cover most of what Evo
> covers,
> but I suppose Evo will stay around for those who need more out of
> email,
> calendar,...

Yeah. Eventually, I'd expect even the various simple standalone apps to
integrate with each other in some way - for example "Create event" in
Geary to create an entry in the new California calendar app - it's
really useful. I understand that the different applications will benefit
average users that may only use a subset of the features that evolution
provides.

> I can imagine that Geary will replace Evo as the default email client
> in
> Fedora. But I'm testing Geary quite regularly and don't think it
> should
> be in a shorter time frame than 1 year from now.

Same here. I just tested Geary out, and I went straight back to Evo. I
was just worried because I've been regularly filing bugs against Evo and
was looking forward to the new fixes - the talk of replacing it caught
me a little by surprise. :)
--
Thanks all for the clarifications,
Warm regards,