Re: A bit more about default apps for Workstation

Hi,

Looks like we have the same thoughts for our infra. "Create event"
could mean a very serious solution for our event handling, why
couldn't be in Evolution too? Moreover I see apps from our side that
can blow lots of minds. Eg. we have already amazing apps.

We have an wonderful app called FedoCal. We have FedMsg. We have
Evolution. So...what? Well, FedoCal can be our portal, openness,
filtering report about events. FedMesg can be our handler - that
through FAS can send even to a person in evolution mail format
reminders, that appears in notification, and from that place I can
select/mark as task, that gonna be inserted to my evolution. In
return, when I select in evolution that task is done, it appears as a
message and a notification if necessary in FedoCal, or sends a message
that task/milestone done to the project leader....

If FedMesg would be able to use up .iCal or .ics (witch is possibly
are already there), and mail format - that can mean also easier trac
tiketts fill up (requests, handling, feedback), or wikipedia event
pages.

All in all - we are very near to revolutionize our project, and
communication within subprojects, community in all and within leaders.
How magnificent would be to have a dedicated community messaging
service that binds together mailinglists, task management, events....

What do you think?

Ty,

Zoltanh721

> On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 16:25 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
>> Hi Ankur,
>> I don't think Evolution is going away. I don't even think they compete
>> with Geary. It's a feature-rich groupware client for enterprise
>> deployment, not an email client for an average user even though it can
>> serve that quite well, too.
>
>> I think that the plan of GNOME is to bring simple apps to cover all
>> the
>> common tasks and yes, they will probably cover most of what Evo
>> covers,
>> but I suppose Evo will stay around for those who need more out of
>> email,
>> calendar,...
>
> Yeah. Eventually, I'd expect even the various simple standalone apps to
> integrate with each other in some way - for example "Create event" in
> Geary to create an entry in the new California calendar app - it's
> really useful. I understand that the different applications will benefit
> average users that may only use a subset of the features that evolution
> provides.
>
>> I can imagine that Geary will replace Evo as the default email client
>> in
>> Fedora. But I'm testing Geary quite regularly and don't think it
>> should
>> be in a shorter time frame than 1 year from now.
>
> Same here. I just tested Geary out, and I went straight back to Evo. I
> was just worried because I've been regularly filing bugs against Evo and
> was looking forward to the new fixes - the talk of replacing it caught
> me a little by surprise. :)
> --
> Thanks all for the clarifications,
> Warm regards,