Re: DE discussion summary

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:09:59 +0100
Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The fact we're even considering asking the question "which DE do we
> want to use for workstation" is just crazy. I think we're kidding
> ourselves if we want to try and answer that question honestly when the
> biggest backer of the project by several orders of magnitude has
> several hundred engineers working full time on GNOME and lower parts
> of the stack that GNOME uses. If I remember correctly, we have about
> two employees on all of KDE, and one on XFCE. None on LXDE. None on
> MATE. Fedora may be a community distro, but without the backing of Red
> Hat, it wouldn't be viable at all. When there's a Fedora release
> blocker that needs a few days of developer time, who do you think
> picks up the tab? I think that's probably an important thing to
> understand before damaging the relationship any further on votes that
> can only result in huge flame wars and a lot of wasted time.
>
> Richard [*]
>
> * Red Hat employee, but you probably knew that.

I might be the one you are mentioning in Relation to Xfce?

I'll note that I do work for Red Hat (and very happily so!), but my job
is to keep Fedora Infrastructure running along smoothly, not Xfce
maintaining. I've (co)maintained Xfce since about 2005, long before I
worked for Red Hat, and do so as time permits. So, you can't really
count me as 'full time working on Xfce'.

In any case, I agree with you here, as well as Christian's later post
today on vision. I think gnome should be the default offering, but we
should provide ways for savvy folks or those who aren't happy
with Gnome to switch to other available desktops if they wish. (With
the understanding that it's best effort, and Gnome will likely be more
active). People who know what desktop they prefer can use that, and
folks who have no idea what the various desktops mean can try our
default offering.

In any case I think we should move on from this discussion and on to
more interesting discussion of what f21's workstation will look like.

Looking forward to what you all will come up with. ;)

kevin