Re: DE discussion summary

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:49:49AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:09:59 +0100
> Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The fact we're even considering asking the question "which DE do we
> > want to use for workstation" is just crazy. I think we're kidding
> > ourselves if we want to try and answer that question honestly when the
> > biggest backer of the project by several orders of magnitude has
> > several hundred engineers working full time on GNOME and lower parts
> > of the stack that GNOME uses. If I remember correctly, we have about
> > two employees on all of KDE, and one on XFCE. None on LXDE. None on
> > MATE. Fedora may be a community distro, but without the backing of Red
> > Hat, it wouldn't be viable at all. When there's a Fedora release
> > blocker that needs a few days of developer time, who do you think
> > picks up the tab? I think that's probably an important thing to
> > understand before damaging the relationship any further on votes that
> > can only result in huge flame wars and a lot of wasted time.
> >
> > Richard [*]
> >
> > * Red Hat employee, but you probably knew that.
>
> I might be the one you are mentioning in Relation to Xfce?
>
> I'll note that I do work for Red Hat (and very happily so!), but my job
> is to keep Fedora Infrastructure running along smoothly, not Xfce
> maintaining. I've (co)maintained Xfce since about 2005, long before I
> worked for Red Hat, and do so as time permits. So, you can't really
> count me as 'full time working on Xfce'.
>
> In any case, I agree with you here, as well as Christian's later post
> today on vision. I think gnome should be the default offering, but we
> should provide ways for savvy folks or those who aren't happy
> with Gnome to switch to other available desktops if they wish. (With
> the understanding that it's best effort, and Gnome will likely be more
> active). People who know what desktop they prefer can use that, and
> folks who have no idea what the various desktops mean can try our
> default offering.

Just to clarify, I think the idea of "default offering" is not
something onto which we tack three additional products (Cloud, Server,
Workstation).  The idea of the Workstation, AIUI, is to provide a
Fedora product that could conceivably take the place of the current
default offering.

> In any case I think we should move on from this discussion and on to
> more interesting discussion of what f21's workstation will look like.

Hear, hear!

> Looking forward to what you all will come up with. ;)

Thanks for the input and for the interest.  I am too, and plan to
participate constructively here with the WG members.