Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 10:18 AM, Dan Mashal wrote:
>>
>> - Detecing other OSes better for dual boot. I have seen quite a few
>> cases where a Windows installation gets broken after Fedora is
>> installed
>

> Details / bug #? The only cases I've seen Windows get broken is actually due
> to something outside of Anaconda's control - Windows not available for boot
> in grub due to EFI-related stuff - that is easily worked around.
>
>> - Another case would be someone installed Fedora with their Windows
>> drive disconnected and now wants to add Windows to the grub menu.
>

> What kind of user are you thinking about here? What level of expertise?

I'm talking about novice users.

>> Maybe a wizard here would be nice that would update grub for the user.
>> - Making the partitioning process simpler. Add a few safe guards.
>> People have reported blowing away their partitions by accident.
>

> Where is this reported? The number of safeguards in the new anaconda is
> massively increased compared to how the old anaconda worked. It takes a much
> more conservative approach than it ever did, and none of the changes to disk
> are committed until the user starts the install.

Most of these things I'm referencing here have been reported
informally on IRC in #Fedora so I don't have bug relevant bug numbers
here. Sorry about that.

>> - Adding a ton of tool tips to the UI. Try and predict what people are
>> thinking and try and answer their questions before they have one.
>

> Which UI?

The UI in Anaconda before the user hits install.

Let me compile a more coherent list of things so that I'm better
prepared to bring them up over the next few days and get back to you.

Do you have a link to the workarounds for dualboot/EFI? I'd be
interested in reading up on those.

Thanks.

Dan