Re: Underlying DE for the Workstation product

On 02/01/2014 03:31 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:

In general, for a desktop, people want something that "just works" and
is "easy, simple and intuitive" to use.
I agree 100% with this.
And also something that meets upcoming user and hardware requirements (cloud storage, 13" 4K monitors and laptops with touchscreens on them). That is really hard, but I'm positive that fedora is moving forward in that direction with each release. As someone who works both on the desktop and the server, I'm also hopeful that by taking some of the server requirements of the desktop, you can get both better server and desktop products and not having them kind of drag each other down all the time.

Building a reliable product goes FAR deeper than just a working
desktop. I know that you do spend time in #Fedora on the front lines
as I have seen you there before. I hope that you would agree with me
that there is still a lot to be desired from the current "workstation
offering" (which is DE independent).

For example, disaster recovery needs a lot of work. How can we say
Fedora is reliable when it is extremely difficult for a novice user to
recover a broken system?
Yup.
One of the goals in the PRD is Better upgrade/rollback control.
What other issues apart from that do you think needs addressing?
- Andreas