Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

ons 2013-11-27 klockan 20:58 -0500 skrev Matthew Miller:

> I mentioned two specific things based on feedback I've gotten: better
> multiple monitor support (probably good in general), and better handling of
> multiple terminal windows. Some other particular things about the current
> Gnome design also get pretty strong feedback among the sysadmins I talk to,
> but I don't know enough to say if it's specific or universal

Yes, this is a real issue that Fedora users like me have had to deal
with for several Fedora releases now.

However, I doubt trying to change GNOME to be more sysadmin friendly is
the right course. Perhaps it would be better to just gently suggest
sysadmins might want to consider Cinnamon? It's certainly not perfect,
but it is a better starting point in this case, while still sharing most
of GNOME's underlying infrastructure.

Here's my sysadmin use case:

      * Multiple virtual desktops, each for a specific "focus".
      * Each desktop has a set of terminal windows, text editors and
        browser windows; i.e. "read docs", "edit files" and "run
        commands".

Now, imagine you want a new browser window on the current desktop. You
click the browser icon to the left, but then the darn thing switches
your focus to a random Firefox window on another desktop. So you google
a bit and learn to always hold down Ctrl whenever you click an icon or
press Enter in the overview. Perhaps you find an extension to fix it.

Then you try to Alt-tab to an existing window and accidentally bring all
Firefox/xterm windows on all desktops to the front. Conclusion: Alt-tab
is useless now, don't even try to use it in its default incarnation.

I think this is where most of the feeling that GNOME 3 gets in the way
comes from. There are probably other contributing issues as well.

/Alexander