Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 05:23:28PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:18:07PM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
>> > Hi Matthew,
>> > Because they are not primarily developing desktop applications? Or are developing cross platform applications?
>>
>> So who's going to write the normal desktop applications for our
>> platform?
>
> To expand on this - Fedora is the only significant distribution to use
> the full GNOME stack for our desktop apps. If we don't seek to target
> average desktop users then there's no incentive for developers to target
> the GNOME stack, which means there's no new and interesting desktop apps
> which means there's no incentive for average desktop users to run
> Fedora. Saying that we won't actively discourage average desktop users
> from running Fedora is a copout - the inevitable consequence is that
> average desktop users will stop running Fedora because there's nothing
> for them to use there.

I think you're conflating what upstream does and what Fedora does.
Fedora is a distribution that packages the applications that other
upstreams work on.  I don't think a Fedora PRD is going to either
magically make more upstreams produce more interesting applications
nor do I think they'll stop making them.  Workstation can and should
include the interesting desktop apps you're referring to, but Fedora
the project has never been the one to create those.

> Ignoring non-developers does nothing to advance Freedom. It's likely to

I think there is middle ground between "ignore" and "focus on".
You're painting a picture that seems to have Workstation as simply a
random collection of APIs and the usability is left to the users.  I
don't think that will be the case at all.  At least not any more so
than today's Fedora.

> shrink our community, so it's not clear that it's doing anything for
> Friends. I'd argue that any PRD should be fundamentally based on the
> four foundations, and I'd like to see a strong justification for how
> Workstation is doing so.

You're approaching hyperbole here.  Workstation is working through
things and you're demanding justifications for decisions that aren't
even made.  I would rather you make suggestions for the proper focus
and approach for Workstation.  That will be more helpful.

josh