Re: LISA conference, Fedora, and the sysadmin use case.

On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 13:51 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 12:45 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 08:18 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > Last week, I was at the Usenix LISA conference in Washington, DC. If you are
> > > not familiar, LISA is "Large Installation System Administration", and this
> > > is the premiere conference for professional sysadmins.
> > [...]
> > > There were two particular themes that I heard over and over about desktop in
> > > particular:
> > >
> > >   - need for better multi-monitor support
> >
> > As Bastien said, we'd really need more specifics on this one - there are
> > some general issues we know of (e.g. vertically stacked monitors don't
> > work well) - but I'm uncertain what ones would be of relevance to
> > sysadmins. I'm not even sure what the breakdown for sysadmins is between
> > laptops and desktops - which have very different considerations for
> > multi-monitors.
>
> Some complaints I've heard, off the top of my head:
>
> - no way of saying "launch on this monitor"
> - window placement is forgetful when hotplugs are involved

It's forgetful even when they're *not* involved. Every goddamn time I
boot up my dual-monitor system, gedit is on the right hand monitor;
every goddamn time, I drag it manually across to the left hand monitor.
This is a desktop with dual displays, I don't unplug and replug them,
yet the session management stuff seems to consistently fail to remember
which head gedit is supposed to be on. Seems to remember other apps
okay, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey