Re: LISA conference, Fedora, and the sysadmin use case.

On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 08:18 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Last week, I was at the Usenix LISA conference in Washington, DC. If you are
> not familiar, LISA is "Large Installation System Administration", and this
> is the premiere conference for professional sysadmins.
[...]
> There were two particular themes that I heard over and over about desktop in
> particular:
>
>   - need for better multi-monitor support

As Bastien said, we'd really need more specifics on this one - there are
some general issues we know of (e.g. vertically stacked monitors don't
work well) - but I'm uncertain what ones would be of relevance to
sysadmins. I'm not even sure what the breakdown for sysadmins is between
laptops and desktops - which have very different considerations for
multi-monitors.

>   - handling of many multiple terminal windows

I'd like to see us exploring the idea of being smart about remote
connections to remote servers, and not just considering them to be ssh
run inside a generic terminal. If you have a 'remote terminal' app that
knows what server you are connected to, it can export a GNOME Shell
search provider:

 * That can show both servers that you are connected to, and servers you
   might want to connect to (from your history, from ~/.ssh/known_hosts)

 * That can handle both windows and tabs and switch you to the right
   window or the right tab.

 * If available, can show distinguishing visual representations of
   servers, like an icon

To start or resume working on bugzilla.gnome.org, I'd love to be able to
hit <Super>bugz<Enter>.

This is addition to all the other cool things you can do in such a
program. Colin Walters mentioned today that he has revived work on his
'hotssh' program - we should try adding a search provider to that.

- Owen