Re: LISA conference, Fedora, and the sysadmin use case.

On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 12:45 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 08:18 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Last week, I was at the Usenix LISA conference in Washington, DC. If you are
> > not familiar, LISA is "Large Installation System Administration", and this
> > is the premiere conference for professional sysadmins.
> [...]
> > There were two particular themes that I heard over and over about desktop in
> > particular:
> >
> >   - need for better multi-monitor support
>
> As Bastien said, we'd really need more specifics on this one - there are
> some general issues we know of (e.g. vertically stacked monitors don't
> work well) - but I'm uncertain what ones would be of relevance to
> sysadmins. I'm not even sure what the breakdown for sysadmins is between
> laptops and desktops - which have very different considerations for
> multi-monitors.

Some complaints I've heard, off the top of my head:

- no way of saying "launch on this monitor"
- window placement is forgetful when hotplugs are involved
- GLX doesn't work with multiple GPUs and Xinerama (with Mesa anyway)
- "workspace only on primary display" is often unexpected
- no way to apply session layout settings to gdm

- ajax