Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, sure, but I don't place much faith in this exact formulation of
> this common argument. 'Caring' isn't something that just magically
> Happens or Doesn't Happen. It's not like anyone was maintaining s-c-*
> before because it was a bundle of fun, they were maintaining them
> because they were the Fedora system configuration tools. And, bluntly,
> RH was paying most of them. But now RH's paid resources and most of the
> 'we care because they're our most prominent configuration tools'
> resources get re-directed into working on the GNOME tools, to the
> detriment of the desktop-agnostic tools.
>
>> Configuration tools that are part of and integrated into
>> the desktop do offer a better and consistent user experience,
>
> They offer a better and more consistent user experience *for users who
> use that desktop and only that desktop*. They offer a less consistent
> user experience for users who use multiple desktops, and they offer
> nothing at all for users who don't use that desktop.

This is not exactly a fair picture. GNOME has offered a set of
configuration tools for over a decade now (initially created by
Ximian), Ubuntu has used them since it was created. That Fedora and
Red Hat are finally working with other distributions to have a unified
set of configuration utilities, whether it's designed in KDE or GNOME
or others, is a very *good* thing. It means less work for everyone
involved and a much better experience for users.

It's true, desktops which don't offer a set of configuration utilities
get left behind. But I don't think someone running a custom .xinitrc
with openbox and xscreensaver and others really cares about a GUI for
setting the time or hostname. And if they do they can still use
gnome-control-center, it's not that much different.

--
Evandro