Re: pup use cases...

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:45 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm taking a look at the ""pup storyboard" from a checkout of Paul
> Nasrat's pup package.

Cool.  If you want to test it out you can

cd data; sudo python mockpup.py

I'll move to having a real binary later this week - along with makefiles
and spec for test releases.

> The storyboard seems to indicate that the most compelling use case is
> the one currently fulfilled by up2date/rhn-applet, where a user is
> notified that an update is available for software that he or she already
> has installed, and allows them to install the updates in a 'batch'.

Yes that is correct.

> I am wondering if anyone has an idea of whether it's within pup's
> current presumed scope to also allow users to manage the process of
> graphically adding new software and removing installed software on an
> ad-hoc basis (e.g. Synaptic).

Not with pup itself.  The aim is to have a complete graphical suite for
software management using yum as the backend from anaconda installation,
package updates and software installation.

pup is focused on the package update component.  We may endup with
reusable parts such as progress bars and callbacks, but the installation
interface is distinct from updates.

Paul