Re: pup use cases...

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:27 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:45 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm taking a look at the ""pup storyboard" from a checkout of Paul
> > Nasrat's pup package.
>
> Cool.  If you want to test it out you can
>
> cd data; sudo python mockpup.py

Yep, tried it, looks good! ;-)

> > I am wondering if anyone has an idea of whether it's within pup's
> > current presumed scope to also allow users to manage the process of
> > graphically adding new software and removing installed software on an
> > ad-hoc basis (e.g. Synaptic).
>
> Not with pup itself.  The aim is to have a complete graphical suite for
> software management using yum as the backend from anaconda installation,
> package updates and software installation.
>
> pup is focused on the package update component.  We may endup with
> reusable parts such as progress bars and callbacks, but the installation
> interface is distinct from updates.

Gotcha... that helps a lot, thanks.  I'm hot for an ad-hoc installation
tool, but maybe I should start playing around with pup first given that
it's the first in the series of things that aim to get done.  I gather
that the combination of up2date and rhn-applet-gui is pretty crufty, and
that's why we need pup?

- C