udev & scsi pcmcia?

Hi All,
I have an adeptec scsi pcmcia card that doesn't seem to be playing very
well - at least the devices on it don't.

Symptoms:
-the scsi/pcmcia card seems to be recognised ok on plug-in:
[root@morgansmachine ~]# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  product info: "Adaptec, Inc.", "APA-1460 SCSI Host Adapter", "Version
0.01"
  manfid: 0x012f, 0x0002
[root@morgansmachine ~]#

-However, /dev/scd0 (cdr/w), /dev/sg0 and /dev/sg1 (scanner) don't seem to reliably show, but do sometimes? -For instance, I've just re-booted with the scsi card in and I have meaningful entries in /proc/scsi/sg/device_strs:
HP      	CD-Writer+ 9200 	1.0e
        	Scanner         	1.40
-And also /proc/scsi/scsi:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: CD-Writer+ 9200  Rev: 1.0e
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
-But, what's created under /dev/ seems unpredictable?
-"Hardware Browser" shows the hp cdr/w at /dev/scd0, but it's not there.
-"Hardware Browser" shows the Scanner at /dev/sg1, which is there (and also /dev/sg0), but a link to /dev/scanner doesn't get SANE working, when it did under fc2 (if I remember correctly). It also seems to be there after removing the scsi/pcmcia card (but, /dev/sg0 is removed)?..

Needless to say, gnome's Computer window doesn't show the cdr/w. K3b shows the cdr/w, but fails to read the drives disk info. Interestingly, the Nautilus File Browser takes ages (couple of minutes) to reload /proc/scsi/ following removal of pcmcia/scsi card and when it does it then shows /dev/sg1 gone.

Any help much appreciated.
Regards,
Morgan.