Re: console configuration

On Thursday 14 April 2005 05:12 pm, Travis Rousseau wrote:
> On 4/14/05, Henning Larsen <hennlar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > will it be more easy to configure the system from console in the future,
> > or should I have to use X on my server? I do most configuration from
> > webmin, but would like more console-tools.
>
> I think that you should try to get a feel of the basics, once you do I
> doubt you'll go back to using the uebmin thing or X.
>
> Reading all the man pages and learning the tools really makes it
> faster quicker and easier than with the gui tools
> Really learn to use Vi, or Emacs. and use the man command for anything
> you dont know.
>
> Travis R.
If it is a server that must be secure then the less on the system the less
likely to have a security hole. In this case it might be well to configure
the system "manually" from the command line.

If security is not an issue by all means I would use the GUI approach, but,
remember that all GUI programs will use somewhat a "cookie cutter" approach.
--
John H Ludwig