Re: ideas for interfaces

seth vidal wrote:

Rhythmbox is getting rid of the "sources" list, and I'm not sure it's
a hot idea for this, either.  I think something like a source list
should be in a preferences pane or dialog of some kind.  It'll be a
somewhat rare occurrance for one to add/remove/change a source, so I
don't think it deserves such prime real estate.

Where would you put removable media and destinations, then?

-sv

How about a tabbed interface?  Instead of using several static panes,
bring it down to two or three and use tabs to switch views.  You could
then expand this idea further without the need for more screen real
estate.  Personally, I would prefer to have source selection readily
available, without the need to pull up a preferences dialog, but I
honestly never even use any GUI for package management anyway. :-P

BTW, has anyone considered adding functionality to any of the package
managers to support SRPM repositories directly, building packages
automatically before installing them?  I'm sure it would be a headache
at first, but I think that the idea is very interesting, particularly
for people on exotic architectures.  For example, it would have been
great when Livna.org stopped pushing x86_64, because people on 64-bit
systems could have used SRPM functionality to continue easily using the
Livna.org repositories.  Gentoo certainly takes an interesting approach
to a similar idea.

Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes